Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Hotter'N Hell Blog

I've been on the bike a bunch, but I needed to get some time in for HHH... with projected rain. Here's some vid:

After 2.5 hours of heavy yard work... I got on the trainer for 2.5 hours! Say'z 40 miles... but I think the outdoor equivalent is more...


I trained again the next day... and this is how I felt about it:


I drove to Wichita Falls and met my host family. In case you don't know, over 14k people go to #hotternhell and that means the city is overflowing with people who need a place to stay. A big shout out to my host family who gave me AND my pooch a place to stay for two nights. It's very unusual to find anyone who will let you bring a dog, but it turned out to be a mini vacation play date for mine! I left him to play and I ran off to the event to register!



As you can see, the registration was a madhouse... a line out the door! Then you check out the shopping in the convention center... 



Hey look, its Richardson Bike Mart... that's where I buy all my gear now. So I said hello, then moved along. 



 Check out the nice Police bikes... I got to see them all along the ride the next day helping us with traffic.



Sponsorship... 



The finish line the day before. I got to walk back and forth under it... if only it was that easy the next day!


This is my sad face when the Pearl Izumi booth didn't have any bibs in my size...





These guys were blasting music and having a grand old time in the best viewing location of the crit races!


Above is the route map... temps the day of would be ok.... but humidity high (bad for heat) and winds were picking up through the day from 13 MPH in the am starting line.... up to 30 MPH on my way to the finish line...

Then you line up... its a mob scene of unimaginable proportions... yeah yeah, I'm standing next to the Navy in my USMC Jersey... bite me. Lots of people line up for blocks... but not many women sign up for or finish the 100 miles compared to 14k people at the starting line. Also note... no gloves. I forgot them and had to put down the 100 without them... boy did I pay for that.





The lineup waits until after the flyover and cannons. They play the national anthem... then, the real madness begins.





We had cattle guards and...


Sometimes people had a bad day...


We got to go through the air base this year... The zoomies doused me down with water... I know I was hot and all, but I think it was the jersey... #USMC



Rest Stops are full of liquids, sometimes munchies and lots and lots of people!





At the 75th mile the pack is thinned out... and because it was 15 miles from the last stop, people were very tired... worn out more and more as the day goes along. I was pretty toasted here... see video below.




It wasn't easy... and 20-30 MPH winds, 80 plus miles of chip seal... none of it was going to keep me from the finish line... 



They gave out finisher metals this year... for anyone who finished any route.  Mine took me a lot longer then most... but I didn't mind... at least not until the pain set it... and the sunburn..... 

So, without the gloves I couldn't feel my little fingers after mile 50... for days. I also got to keep this snazzy tan:


I had a special recovery plan (Don't try this at home)


Bottom line... HHH is like a cult activity for cycling junkies. Some people really love it and go year after year... others, not so much. I went for a weekend group ride this past weekend and a gal said "I didn't really like it, I tossed my metal in the trash"... I was slightly insulting since I felt like it was an achievement... but, that's my deal, not hers. She's young and can take fitness for granted while us older folks grasp at it like an elderly persons oxygen tank!

Will I be back? Yes... I sent my host family a cool thank you box, including dog toys and treats... can't wait to see em again next year! Besides.. where else would I find that many fit guys in bike shorts? I get to be proud that so few women pass the finish line of 100 miles... and I'll get to do it year after year.

3 comments:

  1. That was amazing Marine. You did us and yourself proud. I am glad to be able to follow your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see you followed my recovery plan, but I prefer my margaritas. Congrats on your very first century! So whats your next challenge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, yeah... you weren't supposed to see that. LOL Next one will probably be maybe MS 100 and Denton Turkey Roll.

      Delete